Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome!

I've been knitting sweaters for about 3 years now, and it's been a fascinating journey. Not only have I gained technical sweater-knitting skills, I have also learned to have more patience, persistence, and hope. If you are also a knitter, perhaps you are in one of the following "stages of knitting development":

  • the only projects you have made are scarves

  • you have only used garter or stockinette stitch

  • you find sweater patterns intimidating as they seem to assume you have previous experience knitting sweaters

  • you are reluctant to commit to knitting a sweater because it is such a long-term, high-risk project

I was in your shoes. I loved to knit and I love a challenge, but after months of making scarves with stripes and lace (which I attempted because I didn't know it was supposed to be difficult) and going on a brief jag of making stuffed stockinette stitch cats, I realized that I would never be satisfied until I learned to knit sweaters.

Knitting a sweater from start to finish was my knitting ideal. It was the epitome of knitting accomplishments, sure to bring me joy, warmth, and admiration.

I headed to the library and came home with half a dozen books of sweater patterns that were all much too difficult for me. Matching increases and decreases? Center neck bind-0ff? Mattress stitch? It was all gibberish to me. So I headed back to the library and found a few more elementary books, and I kept reading until it all began to make sense.

I've continued reading and re-reading knitting books, and I've kept knitting sweaters and learning the whole time. The rules I've followed are:

  1. I never knit a sweater exactly as the pattern dictates. I haven't done this intentionally--I just always seem to need longer sleeves or a wider neck opening. Also, I've never used the recommended yarn. I make affordable substitutions.

  2. I always completely finish making up my w.i.p before casting on for the next one. As tempting as it is to start a new project while the previous sweater is still in pieces in a plastic bag in the closet, I realized that I would learn more by completing and trying on each sweater before starting a new one. (There have been 2 excusable exceptions to this rule.) This rule does not, however, stop me from planning and making lists of all the stitch patterns, colors, and styles I want to use in future projects.

W.I.P.

My current w.i.p. is a beige wool sampler sweater displaying a variety of stitch patterns on the front and back and a simple pattern of purl dots on the sleeves. Both shoulders are sewn together, the neckband is complete, and the left sleeve is sewn to the shoulder. However, after trying it on at this stage, I observed that this sleeve is too long. (Sleeve length is always a tricky issue for me.) I plan to knit the right sleeve about an inch shorter, sew it to the right shoulder, and as long as this looks better, I'll remove the left sleeve, frog the sleeve cap and the extra rows, and re-knit it to match the right sleeve.

FELLOW KNITTERS AND NON-KNITTERS ALIKE--

  • Join me as I review my past sweater knitting journey.
  • Follow along on my future knitting adventures.
  • Share your own knitting stories, reflections, tips, tricks, and questions.

    Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.

  • Knitting Bloggers
    Powered By Ringsurf

No comments:

Post a Comment